Saturday, September 28, 2013

On Daring to Be Different

I have to apologize for the sparseness of posts over the last week and into the next few days. I've been busily preparing a slew of ideas and posts for the 31 Days challenge that is being hosted by The Nester. I'm really excited about my series, which I'm titling "[31 Days of] Joyful Learning at Home" and I hope that you'll join me!

In the meantime, however, I've been dealing with a little bit of internal struggle. I thought I'd go ahead and share in case it helps anybody else out. After all, last week we talked about turning your mess into a message, and how your history is really His story!

I'm dealing with some discomfort in regards to being "different." We've all been there, I'm sure. Being different is uncomfortable, it's not always fun, it's frequently anxiety inducing... and - too often - we let it keep us from doing what God has called us to do, and being who God has called us to be.

Sometimes you just have to let it go. When I attended my church's women's conference back in March, Sheri Rose Shepherd (the fabulous speaker) said, "Girlfriend, NOBODY is thinking as much about you as you are!" (Or something along those lines - it has been a long time!)

That helps a little bit but, this is even better:

In What Happens When Women Say Yes to God, Lysa Terkeurst says "We are to be DIFFERENT so that we can make a DIFFERENCE." That's some serious truth.

I don't know about you ladies, but I want to be the kind of woman who makes a difference... who says "yes" when God calls... who does whatever God says to do... who steps out in faith and leaves the consequences to God.

So what's a girl to do in those times when we feel "awkward" about being different?

Here are a few of my favorite scriptures for those times. Pray them, claim them as your motto, personalize them, and hide them in your heart. :)

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."
Romans 12:2

"I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Philippians 4:13

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."
Philippians 4:6

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

Chime in - Share your favorite verses in the comments!

(P.S. All of the verses in this post are taken from the ESV translation.)

No comments:

Post a Comment